In light of recent events, I'd like to provide an update on all things rugby.
- At this stage, a competition will still proceed and begin from July 26. The structure will be decided over the coming days, with team nominations due no later than today at 5pm. I will keep you updated on this.
- It has been brought to our attention that some clubs do not feel comfortable travelling to Camden and/or Campbelltown to play. They may potentially not want Camden and/or Campbelltown travelling away to play them. This will affect the draw across all age groupsand more will be known shortly. As disappointing as this is, we respect the other clubs right to protect their players and parents.
- Training can still proceed as planned with teams allocated their specific zones on a field. We have been able to manage this with due care so that everyone can train together and get in and out as quickly as possible. Please maintain social distancing if you decide to watch training from the sidelines and ensure your children do not attend training if they are feeling unwell.
- We will be nominating teams in the Under 7's (x2 teams), 8's, 10's, 11's, 12's, 13's, 14's and 16's (a joint venture between Camden and Bowral).
- We could not get enough numbers to fill an under 9's so unfortunately, we could not enter a team. Some of our current registered 9 year olds will either play up in the 10's or down in the 8's.
- Illawarra have informed me that the Under 12 competition will not proceed due to lack of numbers across the region. There were not enough registered players to make up teams to form a viable draw. Unfortunately, we will have to look into options to participate in a different competition for our under 12 team. More will be known over the coming days.
- We have recently welcomed a new team of under 11's with a coach and manager into Camden Rugby. They are a team that have been playing rugby league in a local competition that only just recently requested a meeting with us and discuss the option to bring their team across to enjoy what rugby has to offer. A select number of Camden Rugby Union representatives met with the coach and manager and made the decision to welcome this new team into our rugby community. In these unprecedented times, changes are occurring daily. We decided that it is too late to merge with our current under 11's and split the teams evenly across the entire playing group. With this in mind, we want to openly welcome this new team and ensure that they enjoy a positive and rewarding rugby experience here at Camden.
Please stay safe everyone and we hope to see everyone back on the rugby field very shortly.
Camden Rugby Junior Chairman